Quotes of 'Poems'

Cynthia Veleno :

"It is a Christian poetry book and it is patriotic. There is a lot of it that shares my faith in Christ and it's dedicated to our service men and women. It's also dedicated to the Twin Towers and the men and women who lost love ones there. That's one of the main poems."

more quotes on Faith, Lost, Love, Men, Poems, Women
Cynthia Veleno :

"It was always a dream of mine. When I was in high school I used to write poems for my friends. And they would give them to their girlfriends or their boyfriends. I struggled through school, but through all the rough times I went through, I would write ? write letters to God and tell him about all my sad days and stuff. That's how I began writing. Then I turned to poetry."

more quotes on God, Poems, School, Stuff
Christian Wiman :

"He has written some of the most memorable poems of our time, and his achievement rivals that of great American poets like Robert Frost and Elizabeth Bishop."

more quotes on Achievement, Great, Like, Poems, Time
Christina Aguilera :

""People betrayed me and I had a really hard time. That, along with what I'd been through with my family and my father and hard times at school meant I was knocked down. It was too much and I felt I'd been through the wringer - I was like a punchbag. I think talking to people is important and my family have helped me through it. I'd definitely be open to going to a therapist. I went when I was younger. But making this record ('Stripped') has been therapeutic. It's a tough record, it's personal and it's made me feel vulnerable. It's honest. Emotionally I've laid myself bare - it's what's in my heart. I've been writing a lot of poems and I wanted to disappear from the public eye and live life for a minute. I didn't want to play it safe.”"

more quotes on Family, Heart , Honest, Important , Life, Like, Play, Poems, Public, School, Time, Tough
Elliot Jacobowitz :

"He loved language and found a medium to have to express himself with. That was one of best things. Whenever we would go visit my family, almost every occasion I would ask dad what his latest poems were. A lot of times he would have a work in progress and read it and sometimes ask for comment on it."

more quotes on Comment, Family, Language , Poems, Visit, Work
Eudora Welty :

"would give [Welty] the distance from which to assess a sheltered past and the courage to move beyond the self-consciously clever or openly derivative poems and stories of her youth."

more quotes on Courage, Distance, Past, Poems
Erica Jong :

"I went for years not finishing anything. Because, of course, when you finish something you can be judged . . . I had poems which were re-written so many times I suspect it was just a way of avoiding sending them out."

more quotes on Poems, Suspect
Emily Dickinson :

"To see the Summer Sky/ Is Poetry, though never in a Book it lie --/ True Poems flee --"

more quotes on Poems
Elizabeth Wurtzel :

""I froze before the keyboard. I couldn't think of a damn thing to say. No poems, no prose, no words. The pain cannot even be alchemized into art, into words, into something you can chalk up to an interesting experience because the pain itself, its intensity, is so great that it has woven itself into your system so deeply that there is no way to objectify it or push it outside or find its beauty within.""

more quotes on Art, Beauty, Experience, Great, Intensity , Poems, Prose, Push, Words
E. E. Cummings :

"Your poems are rather hard to understand, whereas your paintings are so easy.
Easy?
Of course?you paint flowers and girls and sunsets; things that everybody understands.
I never met him.
Who?
Everybody.
Did you ever hear of nonrepresentational painting?
I am.
Pardon me?
I am a painter, and painting is nonrepresentational.
Not all painting.
No: housepainting is representational.
And what does a housepainter represent?
Ten dollars an hour.
In other words, you don?t want to be serious?
It takes two to be serious."

more quotes on Paint , Poems, Words